Real Life on Instagram, October 2012

Written by Elena @The Art of Making a Baby on. Posted in BABY, Daily, LIFE, PHOTO, Real Life Photos

I used to not like writing or reading Instagram posts. I felt the photography was lacking and I like “purdy” pictures. But I am starting to love Instagram photos more and more for one reason. As Alexis gets older and more mobile, it is becoming harder to have my big heavy camera with a big heavy lens on hand for those cute fun and precious moments that happen in a blink of an eye. In addition to that, she is obsessed with pressing buttons on my camera, which means as soon as I pull it out, Lexi crawls to me which makes it impossible to take A picture, let alone a candid one. So taking cell phone pictures is the only way to really capture the amazing girl that she is. I really don’t like to have become on of those moms that ONLY takes and posts pictures of their kids, but that’s most of what I do all day and it’s hard NOT to take pictures of your kid. So lately, as I have been going through my Instagram photos, I’ve been loving how real authentic and fun they are. Just our life: dirty, messy, funny, real every day life. So this feature is here to stay, as evidenced by its newly created category :)

OCTOBER 2012

A massive Zulily order of books. We actually really like these and most of them are impossible to find otherwise.

Eating breakfast with mommy

One of my favorite pictures of Alexis. I surprised her with flash while we were having fun after a good nap.

Always watching. Even in the loo.

Another favorite of mine. She crawled away from me trying to put her to sleep, plopped herself down by the bookshelf and starting pulling out books one by one and “reading” them. We’ve moved the lower bookcase up, like suggested, so now she tries to get to the one up high.

Naptime

Mommy meet-up. Someone asked on Instagram “Are you standing on a step?” LOL Looks like it doesn’t it?

My loves hanging a picture while I work on a post.

2 Months ago when she first figured out how to stand.

The middle face is my favorite: the scrunched up nose and heavy breathing :)

Happy clapping in the car

Ah! This one kills m! Dad? WTF?

Turning faucets and testing water

Sleepy head in the playyard

Oh swoon! My little girly girl!

Begging for daddy to pick her up

This on cracks me up! She loves licking the ball. She’d stick out her tongue and goes back and forth on the ball like a mad person.

Dad fishing food out of Lexi’s shirt

I triple dog dare ya!

My beautiful girl! Love that fishy face!

What sleep if there are books around? After we were done reading and I turned off the light, she still managed to crawl away from me, get up to the bookshelves and get some books. I just don’t get how a kid can be sooo tired and so sleepy but as soon as you lay her down, all she wants to do is play and read.

Her supermodel pose!

Clean playroom for about 3…2…1

After nap, her favorite thing to do is to crawl next door to daddy. Here she got distracted by shiny objects covering the floor adjacent to Andrew’s desk.

Evening walks with my love

The weather finally getting cool enough to do outdoorsy stuff

Tunnel vision for mommy

Getting ready to go to the pool

Hard at work

More of what she does literally 3/4th of her awake time.

And more… (I have a million more, but I won’t bore you)

A day in life: walk, pool, dinner, post-bath play

And sometimes we get very very upset…:(

Wearing a Disney’s tigger onesie for her Halloween music class

Out voting with mommy and daddy

While daddy stood in line for the both of us, we quickly ran over to the neighboring playground.

Here’s the famous crawl to daddy. Except that she got kind of tired and lay down for a bit.

Weeeee are the chaaampions, my friend!!! Spaghetti is conquered.

Our typical dinner.

At her first Halloween party

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Jamie

Lexi is cute! I’m wondering why you don’t capture more of her smiles? Is she a happy baby generally?

Cuz I don’t want to??? LOL That’s a funny question! :))))
      I don’t capture them because it’s very hard to do. She is very serious and only smiles when she interacts with people or animals (or when I am reading to her, or from physical things like tickling,). Neither of those times, I can whip up a camera and snap because it’s either me making her smile or I am too involved in the action to stop and snap. I have a few smiley pics on the phone, but at this point the second she sees my big camera she crawls over to press buttons… Pretty hard to get a SHOT, let along a spontaneous smile.
      Is she a happy baby? She is a serious baby. Always reading, always looking concentrated when playing, observing, thinking (was like that from birth). She is not a fussy baby, but she only smiles for a good reason, like when seeing mama or when someone smiles at her, or OMGKITTIES! :)

• Joelle

I love this post! What a great way to remember the everyday things:)

• Claire

Wow, hammering a nail into a wall while baby-wearing like that seems incredibly dangerous. Besides the obvious risks (have you ever seen a nail go flying if hit wrong with a hammer???), do you know what’s in drywall? New drywall is infamous for the high levels of dangerous toxins. The dust (filled with who knows what) from hammering would fall straight down onto Lexi. We do a fair amount of home improvement projects, but we make sure that our baby girl is either in a different room, different floor, or out of the house (depending on the size/scope/dangers of the project)!

If you’re interested in high-quality board books, you should check out the NY Times Board Book round ups (here’s one example: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/02/books/spring-board-book-roundup.html?_r=0). There are also numerous awards for toddler and board books that are a good source for quality books as well as the classics that are essential for cultural literacy (http://www.agatebooks.com/children-books/award-winning-books.html and http://www.powells.com/awards/caldecott-medal/ are some examples).

How do you hit one nail that you’re holding with your fingers wrong? It’s not a home improvement project, it’s hanging a simple picture lol

Thanks for the book links!
      We have so many already but good to have for the future.

• Claire

You obviously haven’t hammered very many nails, lol! I’ve spent a LOT of time on construction sites (I used to go rebuild homes a few times a year in NOLA post-Katrina) as well as done tons of home improvement work, and it happens all the time, especially with people that aren’t experienced (you’ve mentioned before that your husband doesn’t like to do home improvement projects?).

As for books (and toys!), I find that quality is better than quantity! You’ll find that as Lexi gets older, it’s a good idea to keep a smaller quantity of toys out at a time and rotate them – it’s easy for them to get fatigued and overwhelmed with too much STUFF, research has shown that it’s not good for them developmentally.

Haha not much experience is needed to hammer a nail for a picture :) I understand what you’re saying about actual home renovation but hanging a picture isn’t brain surgery whether you like or don’t like doing home improvements (he doesn’t like it due to time involved not due to lack of skill)

• Kristen

I think self-righteous judgement is more toxic to your child than the chance of a speck of drywall dust. And pearl-clutching is a strangulation hazard.

• Minerva

Awesome, thank you.

• Anne U

Love these photos, my favorite is the triple dog dare ya one, hilarious.

• Deni

I know just what you mean! Have you heard of Project Life journals? It looks like something you would enjoy :)

• margaux

I love those ! My favourite is the sleepy head in the play yard, so cute !! My DD was like that as a baby until around 18 months or so, she wouldn’t smile or laugh for no reason, it has to be funny or she wasn’t going to laugh lol
    She is almost 4 now and she’s one of the happiest little girl ever and laughs all the time 😉

• Megan

Hahaha, I love the one of you at your Mommy meetup, because I always look the exact same way standing with a group of girls.

• Corinne

My daughter is also very serious. She investigates everything! Furrowed brow and all. There are moments of silliness and smiles, but like you said I’d much rather be a part of that silliness than stop and take a picture.

• Jessica

What is your name on Instagram? I’m new to this lol in fact I just upgraded to a smartphone after many years!

• SStevens

What’s up with these haters or know it all moms. Worry about your own kids looking happy in pictures, and worry about what YOUR kids read, etc, etc. WOW!!

• Anna Kochetkova

OMG I forgot how tall you are :)) U just cant see it on your every day pix :)
    loving the happy images!!

• Kristy T

I love her!!! Lexi is soooo adorable! Also, I have never had a nail fly out of my hand when hammering it while holding it during simple projects…perhaps those who have should be more careful?