Real Life through Instagram, September ’12

Written by Elena @The Art of Making a Baby on. Posted in BABY, Daily, LIFE, PHOTO

***

Instagram LOVE!

{or trying to catch up on photos}

I’m pretty sure these are from September. Though looking at them and seeing how little Lexi was just over a month ago blows my mind. This could not be September. She could not have been NOT crawling and pulling up on everything just a month ago. Not possible. And yet here it is. My baby who grows by leaps and bounds at this point. Definitely makes you want to have another. Eventually. Not now.
See what we’ve been up to { or WERE up to a month ago. Eventually I will get current, I promise :)}

***

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

• Regina

She’s so beautiful! Babies grow SO FAST! Mine just turned 4 months this past Sunday and I was flipping through pictures, just in awe of how much she has changed. I really love your breastfeeding pictures. I’ve taken a few too and I really want to take more. I know I’m going to miss breastfeeding a lot when she weans someday.

• Alena

Elena, where do you get Winnie the Pooh books in Russian? My son loves him, and it would be nice to get more books. Thank you!

Your breastfeeding pictures bring so many warm memories btw. I especially like Lexi’s sweet little face when she is looking straight at you.

• C

She is sooooo beautiful! I adore the first pic of her on you boob, so precious! Makes me look forward to having my own sweet babe here in March. Oh, and just curious (cause I’m a nurse an all and am always checking people out…), does Lexi have a rash on her legs in the carseat pics? If so, what was it?

Thank you C!
      No it’s not a rash. We were playing in the grass and she must have put her thigh near an ant mound. She got stung pretty bad, poor girl! It’s gone now but I’ll be a while till the scars go away. :(

• Chelsea Head

I noticed in one of the pictures, (the one where she’s reaching at something in her car seat) that her legs had red bumps on them.. jw what it was..

• lara

What kind of diaper is the blue one in the pic where your husband is reading to her and she’s in the white shirt with a giraffe on it?

• Jess

Oh my gosh, that picture of Andrew and Lexi napping and he’s holding her hand under his chin… soooo precious! I love seeing Daddies with their babies :)

• Aliya

sooo stinking cute!!!

p.s. love the new design of the site :)

• Michelle

Lexi is absolutely adorable!

This is not meant in a negative way WHATSOEVER, but Lexi is quite the little chunk! (adorable chunk!) I understand strictly BF babies tend to be heartier, but when does that even out a little? Especially if you’re planning to BF until 24 months (I thought I remember reading that somewhere) I ask out of curiosity and because I am due with my first in January and plan to exclusively BF for as long as possible, so I’m sure I’ll have a little chunker on my hands too. :)

I know what you mean! She’s in 99th percentile for both height and weight. Around months 4- 6 she stopped gaining weight like crazy. And has gained half a pound or so a month. Her chubbiness is quickly going away to my dismay. As she grows in height, she will slim down since her weight isn’t going up that much anymore.

It also has a lot to do with parents. Like Andrew and I are both in the 99th percentile (or close) in height. I saw my 6 months pics and I was a very chubby EBFed baby.

In the first year or more whatever your baby is doing, she needs it. So if she needs to eat every 30 minutes as a newborn or every 2 hours as an 8 months old, that’s what her body needs.
      So I would just let your baby be the way it is (which I know you would anyways). He/she might be skinny as a stick or have millions of rolls. As long as its consistent. It’s all good right now.

P.s.: also BFed babies tend to be bigger in the first half a year and as they get mobile it gets more even. Unless of course their parents are giants and they ate nonstop in the first 6 months (I mean us)

• Cat

Okay, long time reader first time commenter here. 1) Thank you! I’ve used your blog as a resource for buying the absolute best – and safest – products for my pregnancy and now-four-months-old baby since her conception. You’ve saved me hours of research. 2) As previous commenter said, yep Lexi is a chunk and that’s a good thing! 3) I love the instagram photos! More than the staged ones, which are great also, but there’s something about the more impromptu pics that I really enjoy. :-)

• Sarah B.

I love all your photos! What type of camera do you have? I’m looking to get a new one to take photos of my daughters, but have no idea where to start…there are too many options!! Also, what brand of cloth diapers are you using for Lexi? I’d like to start cloth diapering but again, so many options!!

Thank you, Sarah!
      Do you mean the camera I take normal pictures with? It’s 5d Mark II. But really the camera doesn’t matter AS MUCH as the lens does, and so does your post-processing. My favorite two are 50mm f/1.8 because it’s cheap so I am not afraid to break it, yet takes great shots; and the 85mm f/1.8

As far as cloth diapers, we got Kawaii Baby, though I wouldn’t NECESSARILY recommend them as we are still trying to figure out whether they work for us or not. We picked them because they were the best fit for Lexi.

• Sarah B.

Yeah, the camera you take photos for this site with (or the one you use most often I guess?). I didn’t know about the lens mattering…that’s good to know!

Once you figure out the cloth diapering, you should do a post about it!

Thanks!

Lenses make a huge difference. And like most photographers like to say “The camera doesn’t take a picture, the person does”. The most important thing one can do for their photos is to learn to shoot on manual, from then even a cheap 500 canon rebel body will do!

• Amy Miller

Back in cloth! YAY! Isn’t cloth so great?!?

YES! We’ve been back in cloth for a while now. It’s not without its challenges, but I was never truly happy using disposables.

• Isha

I love your blog and your precious baby! But her chest clip is just too low in the picture of her with the teething ring :(

• Isha

It’s at her elbows, not her armpit. Was just wondering if it was a pre adjusting shot. I am hyper vigilant about car seats, as I am sure you are :)

• Kay

Aww she’s such a sweetie. Those big round blue eyes are adorable!

Was just wondering though – I thought you guys were vegan? Yet there’s a big tub of whey in the background in the watermelon photo? What do you use that for if you don’t mind me asking?

• Karen

I love the breast feeding pics! Wondering of you could tell me where you got those bowels that your baby girl is using. I have a Boon chair that I will start using in a couple months and I want to be prepared. Beautiful blog!