Stepping Out Saturday

Written by Elena @The Art of Making a Baby on. Posted in Fashion and Outfits, LIFE

Last weekend we went to get some video shots done at the  local shopping mall and go grocery shopping. I attempted to do an “OUTFIT” shot, but as usual it was a challenge in our 90 degree heat with a baby who decided that grass is much more interesting than the camera in front of her. So that’s the best I’ve got.

I was also excited to finally wear my “going-home” dress with a matching romper for Alexis, now that she is big enough for it.

I am finding out that I almost always end up wearing nursing clothes (mostly Boob Design, because I am yet to find another nursing company with nice looking clothes) rather than normal clothes with a low neckline. It appears that most of my “low neckline” outfits are just not LOW enough to make it comfortable. Layering a nursing tank underneath isn’t an option since it’s really hot. So I am thinking that I might need to start looking for more nursing brands out there, sort of like I did with maternity. Because I am definitely not ok with resorting to simple tanks for the next 2 years. One can only pull of a wife-beater once or twice a week, I cannot live it them.

Elena: Boob Sailor Nursing dress
Alexis: Sailor Romper and Melondipity hair flower
Andrew: A&F polo and Express shorts

What is your favorite nursing clothing brand? What do you do for nursing clothes?

Tags: ,

• my honest answer

I’m not usually a fan of matching parent and child outfits, but this is actually quite cute!

• Micaela

Love that dress and the fact that you two match. Cute!

• Danielle Kowalski

I have been having a difficult time finding stylish, affordable nursing clothes as well. I feel like I live in nursing tanks when I am at hme during the week. I have found some maxi dresses at various stores that work relatively well for nursing, but no specific nursing brands. It drives me crazy every time I walk into my closet and see all of my pre pregnancy clothes that fit me once again, but are not breast feeding friendly :(

• Megan V

I was hoping you would have great suggestions for nursing clothes. I have nothing to wear now since nothing I own is easy to nurse in! I’ve been wearing the same two nursing tanks all week and am about to go crazy! I’ve searched the Internet and can’t find much!!

• Lindsay

I gave up on nursing clothes after the first couple of months. I just wear regular clothes when nursing my toddler. The most you can see is a bit of my side. The only thing I have had trouble with is dresses because you can’t really lift them up. I wear jeans (live in northern minnesota) or skirts and a regular shirt with a nursing bra. It has worked out great and I can wear any clothes I want.

• Lesley T.

Lexi is chubbalicious! I just want to pinch her adorable little cheeks!

• Lauren

You three look great- Alexis so so cute! Quick question for you re: Boob Design. What kind of a bra do you wear underneath? I love the idea of these, and am thinking of picking up a few tanks before a trip in a few weeks. Do you just wear a regular nursing bra underneath? Thanks!

I’ve tried it all to be honest. Sometimes I’ll wear a sleeping bra, sometimes one of the Boob bras, sometimes nothing if I know I won’t be leaking. Probably the best is to use a soft bra that you pull aside- that’s my preference.

• Lauren

Great- thank you! I love the idea of the Boob Design pieces for their discretion, but wasn’t sure how to add a bra to the equation…a soft/sleeping type of bra is a good idea. Thank you!

• Patty

Did you ever try button up clothing? It doesn’t have to specifically be nursing as long as there is easy access to the goods. I actually never owned any nursing clothing though, just lifted my shirt and away we went, baby covered my mid section and used a swaddle blanket to cover up if i felt exposed. I actually preferred lifting because then the top of my shirt still looked the same versus if i unbuttoned or pulled down, i felt very exposed then. Good luck in your search.

That’s why I like boob! It doesn’t even look like you’re nursing. I don’t own many shirts that button up and hard to find tees or tanks that do- it’s only long sleeve structured shirts.

• om

GLAMORMOM: amazing easy tanks that don’t even need a nursing bra… then some ultimo crossover tops or button-down henleys and you’re set :)

I can’t have layers- it’s too hot! That’s been an issue all along. That’s why Boob works so wonderfully, but I’d like to find other nursing brands as well, just for variety.