The fun is just getting started…

Written by Elena @The Art of Making a Baby on. Posted in FUN TIMES, PHOTO

When I was pregnant I loved day dreaming about what life with a newborn would be like, what Alexis would be like. I always said that if she ends up being a laid back baby, I am SO going places with her from the get-go and having the fun I missed out on while being pregnant. If she’s more of a high needs baby, I thought, we’d do whatever it takes to keep her safe, healthy and comfortable. Somehow I had a feeling she’d be more of a high needs baby and I remember telling my husband that I think I’d rather have it that way, because that would mean she knows what she wants ( and also years of hard work for us).

Well, as you all know, Alexis isn’t a laid back baby. She’s her own perfect kind of smart, alert, inquisitive, demanding, hungry newborn who wants to be held (and not in the carriers) and fed and entertained all the time. She’s also a happy baby (that is when she’s not fussing for food or to be carried around on our shoulders so that she could look at stuff).

So while I’m spending all my days taking care of Alexis with all my energy and time spent on keeping her happy, fed, entertained, growing, all the things babies are supposed to get, I can’t help but think of a time when we all, as a family, can be more active participants in life. Particularly I’m looking foward to seeing some of my friends who live far away.

There have been a few people who I considered soulmates from the beginning. You know the ones that you meet and click with immediately and they love you back just as much.
My husband was one of them. We knew we were meant to be together from our first conversation.

So two of those kind of friends will be coming to visit in August. In time for my birthday which I plan to celebrate in style (energy and funds permitting)
The most amazing thing is that I met both of them online through blogging. I have connected with so many awesome people online it makes my heart melt! I’ve met many of them in real life afterwards and others (relatively new ones) I really hope to meet some time in the future.
I love how easily connections are made in the Internet world. You feel like you know the person. And the warmth coming from some of them, the support and love- that just makes you love them right back!

Leeka, one of my oldest friends in US, contacted me many years ago back when I had a blog on a Russian site. We became online friends and soon decided to meet when she was traveling to Cleveland from Cincinnati for work.
The instance we saw each other, it was like we always were friends. There was no awkwardness, no shyness, no holding back- it was like “Hi there, girlfriend!”

From then on, we’d see each other every time we could and keep in touch online.
Once we had moved to Florida, if Leeka had a vacation or time to get away, she’d come down to Florida with her daughter Gabby!

I consider them both as important to me as family.

Another friend is Teagan, a bloggy friend turned real life friend. I am absolutely in love with her and her husband and cannot wait to see them again. It’s amazing considering that we only met once, but we just get each other. We only had a day to hang out the first time, but what awesome long day it was and this time they’re coming for a week and I couldn’t be happier.

After a late night conversation at an Orlando restaurant about being vegan, (we had to be kicked out because we were so into it), Teagan and Scott went vegan as well (note: my husband is vegan, I was vegetarian, and am currently pescetarian (minus dairy) with plans on going vegan when I stop breastfeeding). And recently I got news that Leeka went vegan as well, so it’s even more exciting to have these two friends over, because it’s going to be an amazing vegan fest over here.

By then Alexis will be 7 months old and I am just super excited to introduce both Leeka with Gabby and Teagan with Scott to her, she’s already so loved by all of them.

But until that time comes ( and I am sure it will be here before we know it), I am left perusing photos from past adventures and day dreaming about all the fun trips to come.

Tags: ,

• Allie

No way, you know Teagan and Scott? I went to college with them! What a small world. We weren’t super close or anything, but both being English majors, Teagan and I had a lot of the same classes. She’s a very gifted writer.

• Kat

It is amazing – the friends that just “get” you. I know that right now things are a bit challenging (as you expected), but the change around the 3 month mark is REMARKABLE. People talk about it and you think it can’t be as defined or blatant as they say, but for us – it truly was!

I know!!! I’m already seeing it. She’s so much more of a person now!
      Btw, saw you were in our neck of the woods on vacation. Next time we have to get together!

• Elena C. :)

Friends rock!
    Oh how awesome!!! Teagan is a tall chick too :)
    That’s gonna be some cool vegan party!

• Megan

Tall chicks rule! (I’m 6’2″ myself)

I think this is the case for every new parent though. While I am completely in love with V, and love every single “stage” she goes through (from newborn, to now being 5 months) I still can’t wait for the future as well. I am so excited to take her to Disney Land, or the Zoo, or swim lessons (which is actually in a month!)

I “snap out of it” sometimes when I see her tiny newborn pictures and think “awe! I miss that!” It sometimes reminds me to stop planning for when she’s older and cherish when she’s tiny, because I will miss it. :)

I love this post about your internet friends, as I feel like I have made true legit (close) friends just through blogging. :) I’m glad I’m not alone.

I know what you mean about snapping out of it. I catch myself too! I do love this stage, I enjoy being home and snuggling, I do wish she’d sleep longer than 1-2 hours at night but I love the 2 months mark!
        But I also wanna show her so much!!!!

• Bee

It’s so wonderful that you have met good friends through blogging and are able to get together in person! I met someone who is now a great friend online, and hope to get together sometime after our baby is born. Who is due in August by the way! What’s your birthday (if you don’t mind sharing)? My EDD is August 19th.
    Always,
    Bee

I actually met quite a few friends online. It’s really an amazing place.
      My bday is aug 2, hubby is 20, so you’re gonna have a little August baby Leo huh? It’s awesome!

• Jess

How did you and your husband meet?

• Teagan

In precisely ten seconds, I’m going to be dancing around the house singing things like
    “iiiiiiii caan’t waaaiiiit!!”
    and
    “august…is the time to paaaaarrrr-ty!”
    and
    “IAMSOSTINKINEXCITED!”

I know you’re joining me from the other side of your computer.
    Because, like you say, I know you get it, soulmate dear. :) :)

p.s. Leeka, if you read this, I am really looking forward to meeting you!!
    p.p.s. I might just have to invest in a week-long new wardrobe before we come, too – you & Leeka look so chic and gorgeous! 😉
    p.p.p.s. I’m really close to making a count-down of days. I’ll fill you in once I’ve got a number…

• Jennifer

I love this post! So full of happiness and it makes my heart feel full.

• Shalay Peterson

I know EXACTLY what you mean about friends that just click!! I have a few of those and I miss them with my entire being!! Right now they all live in different states too, so it’s extra hard! I love having friends that like, the ones that you just pour out your heart and soul the second you meet them!! I’m so excited for you and that you get to see your friends soon!! I’m sure they just can’t wait to meet your beautiful little Lexi!!

• Camille

It’s amazing the friends you can meet online. One of my best friends, I met on an online game! Been friends with her for over 6 years now. :) By the way, it’s quite possible Alexis will become more easygoing as she gets older. My daughter was kind of high needs at first, I spent pretty much every second taking care of her… I swear I didn’t sleep for more than a half an hour at a time for months. But she grew into quite a calm, happy older baby and just the easiest toddler ever!

• stacy

I had a difficult baby (high needs if thats what you want to call it) and I actually found it easier to take care of him if I was out and about and not stuck at home. He did so much better when he was stimulated by the world! Even if it was just walks in the mall or dinner out. Of course you have to schedule it around naps and feedings (because that is when diffucult babies need you most) but I lived and just so you know, it will not be like this for years. When she hits 3 months, it will get tremendously better. And even better after that, 1 year, when they can better commincate their needs. Now 4 is a breeze!

• del

I agree with Stacy. And my high needs son turned into an excited about everything, adventurous outgoing toddler. I think some babies are just too excited about the world and frustrated by their own limitations & get happier when they have a little independence. My son is fiercely independent. Maybe your daughter is similar. :)

• Vera

Teagan is taller than you =) Really great pics and story!!

• Chard

You have Soooo confirmed for me that I should start a blog. I have been toying with the idea for months but am afraid of being so revealing but I think it would he worth it to possibly find some true friends that understand me and could be potentially be friends for life. Great story and great pics. Also let’s me know I should comment more, you never know where your next friend could come from.

• Lisa

If Alexis is really into being entertained and enjoys being held and stimulation, that is even more reason to go out and do things together as a family! I have a baby, 6 months now who is the same way, right from birth wanted constant attention (and fair enough!) So we make an effort to go out and do things and see people and socialize and he LOVES it. So much to see and do, people to smile at and cuddle with, and days when we are out and about he is happier and sleeps much better at night. So I suggest you don’t just wait for “someday” but get into it now! (within reason obviously). I too am very excited for the future and taking my son to new places and having conversations about what things are and how they work etc, but I am not WAITING for it, time to start now!

She’s still very young. Not even 2 months. So it’s still difficult to get out with her. She gets really fussy when strapped into things: carriers, strollers, sometimes the car seat. She’s only happy when carried in our arms :)

6 months is one thing/- that’s definitely the age to do things. I’m really just waiting for 3 months or so when she becomes easier to handle.

The few times we’ve gotten out 80% of the time it was a bit of a disaster. It doesn’t help that it’s hot and sunny as well and she’s too young to regulate her body temperature. So thus we wait…

• jenny l

I don’t normally comment but Alexis sounds so much like my Sophia. Sophia is almost 4 months and since the beginning has been “high needs”. Like Alexis, she scored a 9/9 on Apgar test and basically popped out screaming with her eyes wide open. The nurses all commented on her eye contact and how alert she was. I wonder if this has something to do with the “high needs” characteristics. Perhaps they are just so aware of their surroundings that it makes the transition to life outside the womb difficult!

It’s funny you mention the eye contact because this girl can hooooold it! She’d win any staring contest.
      So how is she now at 4 months?

• jenny l

She is amazing! Many of the challenges we faced early on such as constant nursing, fussiness, little sleep and trouble napping if not being held have resolved themselves. We have developed a few bad habits, such as napping in swings and night sleeping in bouncy chair, that are proving hard to break but she sleeps from 9pm to 4am, feeds, and sleeps till 7:30am on a pretty regular basis so I can’t complain! She definitely knows what she wants and wants it now and that has still not changed! She is wary of strangers and strange places which has been a new development at 3 months. You should see her stare them down! It makes it hard to go to family parties and other activities but I try to remind myself to enjoy these special times with her as there will be plenty of times in the future where being at home with me will be the last place she wants to be:o) She can definitely be draining, it requires a lot of time and effort to keep her happy, but the great thing about her getting older is that she has this huge belly laugh that makes it all worth it! She is so smart and inquisitive and already enjoys and interacts with the 6 month+ toys. I know I am biased but I really feel like many of the “high needs” traits that she has now, if properly fostered, will result in her being an exceptional adult! I love the idea of her growing to be a strong and independent woman who know what she wants and has the skill and courage to do it!! Sorry this is so long and for the poor grammar and punctuation, I did mention she was exhausting right?!!

That’s really good to hear! Luckily she won’t sleep in swings or chairs, so I hope that won’t be an issue.
          I also think (from everything I read) that being high needs is a blessing rather than a hassle. Yes it’s difficult now but they will be that much more determined and open to the world. I’m glad to hear Sophia is thriving. And I’m looking forward to seeing how Lexi’s personality develops.

• Rachel

I know what you mean, 100%. I feel so badly that we’ve even turned down Lillian’s little buddies’ first birthday parties (two of my best friends from high school and I all had baby girls three months apart from each other!) from fear of possible germs from other guests, etc.I too daydream of when Josh and I can take Lillian to the zoo/beach/etc. It’s not so much her age anymore holding us back, but our schedules. Since she always needs one of us holding her, I have days with her and Josh holds her at night so he sleeps in the day. Very rarely do we get to do things as a family. :( Plus almost the whole winter we kept her home and out of stores, just for fear of extra germs. But hopefully soon either she’ll sleep in her crib (though it breaks my heart to think of her not being held by us anymore, what if she’s lonely?) or maybe she’ll be big enough I won’t worry about her sleeping in our bed with us. Though our bed is a huge four-poster that’s really high off the ground…yikes so much to worry about always! But of course I treasure every moment with her, too, it’s not always worry! I’m sure before you know it you’ll be doing fun things with Alexis!